JANUARY 2019 MANUFACTURING CHAMPIONS
Tom Hillman, principle
simulation engineer, YASA
After completing his Master’s degree in
Electrical and Information Engineering at
Cambridge University, Tom joined motor manufacturer,
YASA in 2014. Tom now works on simulation tools at YASA to
develop and optimise new designs for manufacture of YASA’s
axial-fl ux electric motors for automotive and aerospace
applications. His impact at YASA has been substantial and has
made a signifi cant impact across the business.
The ‘mass compounding’ tool, which he developed from
ground up, has become a crucial piece of software within the
business, and has helped the company win multi-million-pound
contracts. Tom’s innovation has created a signifi cant volume of
intellectual property – YASA has over 60 patents fi led to date –
thus increasing the value of the company. He has also taken on
broad responsibilities, off ering his help in numerous areas beyond
his job specifi cation; from supporting the business development
team in customer discussions, to testing and a wide range of
other engineering activities.
The judges were very impressed with the potential of the
innovation and see Tom as a very valuable asset to YASA.
FLT Safety Team,
The Devro FLT Safety Team: Alan
Hamilton, Kevin Lanaghan, Mark Gibson and Derek Bone,
are worthy winners of the 2018 Health and Safety Award.
Over the past four years Devro’s plant in Belshill, near
Glasgow, has recorded a signifi cant number of near misses
relating to forklift and electric pallet trucks. Although the
incidents have not caused any major injuries, Devro decided
to introduce a Forklift Truck Training Team.
The development of the new programme used a Kaizen
approach, where the team came together over several days to
create a new training program that is designed to ensure that
all forklift truck drivers receive the right training at the right time.
Since the forklift safety initiative started, the annual number
of incidents reduced from 25 to nine for 2018 (to the end of
August). It is anticipated that as the training programme rolls
out, the reduction in incidents will continue.
This process has been driven entirely by the FLT Safety
Team. Their energy, innovation and relentlessness has led
to their success. Health and safety is about more than just
numbers; it’s about keeping people protected, which this team
has done magnifi cently.
Michael Vernall, EH&S manager,
A. Schulman Inc
Michael was given the task of reducing the
amount of waste and trying to reduce the cost of
general waste disposal on A. Schulman’s site in Crumlin, South
Wales. He quickly realised that waste streams were not being
followed properly and a lot of recyclables were being put in
the general waste compactor and being disposed of as landfi ll.
Internal controls were revisited and immediately the weight
dropped per collection by more than one tonne.
Prior to this project the company was recycling around
62% of waste, with the remaining 38% going to landfi ll. As
the general waste is now being recycled and the recyclable
cardboard and plastic is going into the correct waste stream,
the site is currently recycling 94% of its waste.
On average, the company is now saving around £5,000
in collection and disposal costs of both the general waste
and the mixed cardboard and plastic recyclable material.
The judges were particularly impressed at the amount of
waste now being recycled on-site, and believe
Michael is a worthy winner of our inaugural
Energy and Environment Champion Award.
Georgie Molloy, materials engineer, YASA
Our Rising Star – and overall Champion of
Champions – Georgie Molloy, has risen
through the ranks at YASA’s Oxfordshire
factory since starting a 12-month student
placement programme. After receiving a fi rst-class
engineering degree from Loughborough University,
she returned to YASA in August 2017 to take up a
role as a materials engineer.
It was here that Georgie’s star really began to shine.
Quickly getting to grips with her role of performing tests
on motor components, as well as developing new bonding
processes in conjunction with other teams, Georgie was given
extra responsibility for managing entire projects.
Such is her talent, Georgie has become the company’s
representative in a number of external events, including
appearing live on ITV News, and demonstrating the company’s
new production lines to Business Secretary Greg Clark MP.
Many of Georgie’s suggestions have resulted in signifi cant
benefi ts to the business, including a reduction in laser process
time of 15%, as well as a 10% reduction in parts scrappage.
Georgie’s rise through YASA, in just over a year, is a credit to
her innovation and teamwork. She is this year’s standout
performer and a clear sign that the future of the industry is
in safe hands.