B A C K C H A T
According to the USA’s
National Air Transport
Association 90% of the
USA’s business aviation
community has been negatively
affected by illegal chartering. Yet
the same survey found most illegal
charter activity still goes unreported.
Last year the National Air Transport
Association launched a renewed effort
to combat the practice after growing
concern among members and
industry. In Europe, the death of
Premiership soccer player Emiliano
Sala after an illegally-chartered Piper
Malbu crashed last year has also
focused the industry on recognizing
and addressing the problem.
Business Airport International
asked its readers their views on
illegal charter via an online poll. Below
are the results.
1. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN OR HEARD FIRST-HAND ILLEGAL CHARTERS OPERATING?
2. WOULD YOU REPORT ILLEGAL CHARTERING IF YOU SUSPECTED IT?
3. DO YOU KNOW HOW / WHO TO REPORT ILLEGAL CHARTER ACTIVITY TO?
4. DO YOU THINK THE INDUSTRY IS DOING ENOUGH TO TACKLE THE PROBLEM?
5. ARE YOU AWARE OF THE RISKS POSED BY ILLEGAL CHARTER SCHEMES?
74 | BU S INE S S A I R P O RT INT E RNAT I ONA L A P R I L 2 0 2 0
NO 25% 25%